Saturday, June 14, 2008

Family traditions

A few posts ago I mentioned the love-seat that my dad promised to me a few years ago. It was a love-seat that we had in the house I grew up in. After my mom left my dad, he took it with him. When I turned 18 my dad told me that he was saving the dining table my grandfather had in his house and the love-seat.

I got my dining room table when I moved in to this apartment two years ago. (Let me tell you, my sister had the biggest issue with me having the table. She even used the "I have a family and we eat dinner together" to get the table away from me.) Well, the dining table is maple but has nothing to do with family history (the table was my step-father's and not part of the Hanley Clan).

My dad called and I asked him about the love-seat and I he told me the real story behind the love-seat. My great, great grandfather Mr. Vinchiski (I am sure I did not spell that name correctly). He made the love-seat and gave it to his daughter, Sophia Vinchaski, who married John Hanley from Ireland. Sophia gave the chair to her son, yet another John Hanley, who married my grandmother, who gave it to my dad. I think that is the way things went.

The issue is my grandmother had the love-seat prepared for storage. That meant that everything was taken off of it but the frame (this was not the first time it was re-done). Strange, but my friend from high schools father did the striping. I just need to have the fabric put back on. I will keep you posted!

I don't have any pictures, sorry...

No comments: