Monday, April 6, 2009

When Annette met Mewska


I started writing the story of Mewska, but realized it takes more than just one post. This is Mewska part I.

I got my Dotty when I was 7 years old. She was a ‘I’m sorry your Dad and I are getting a divorce, so here’s a cat!’ present. I picked her because she was different from the other cats. She really didn’t care to impress me, she was just herself.

It took me days to finally pick her name. I remember talking to my Dad about her and he asked what she looked like. I said, “she has a lot of dots.” There after she was named Dotty Linda (her given name) Buttons (what my sister wanted to name her) Hanley.

Dotty was never spayed. We didn’t have the money and she was an indoor cat. She died in 2006 from cancer. Cancer, that was 80% more likely because she was never spayed. From that point on I vowed to take better care of my pets.

It took me a couple months to adopt Mandy. I walked around for hours until I found her. She was cowered in the back of her cage, but the second I put my hand in there, she came out. Her previous owner abused her and kept her in a closet and she had nothing better to do then rub her hair off. She was gross.

I never intended on getting a second cat, but Mandy would keep me up at night wanting to play. I had to give her a friend because I was going to be a better cat owner.

When I went back to the humane society, I had an idea of what I wanted. I needed a cat a couple years old and she had to be small. I wanted someone Mandy would play with, but wouldn’t get too big.

I was just about to give up when I went back into a communal cat room. I accidently kicked the top of a cat box that was detached and I realized something was in there. Inside I found a little tuxedo mew. I picked her up and fell in love.

1 comment:

Mer-gee said...

You've always took very good care of you pets!