Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's not hot in there


When I first moved in, the stove looked like it was far too old to actually work. Only three of the four burners actually worked. So when I tried the stove and it did not work, I was surprised. Then when Holly moved in, she also tried and found it did not work.

As I mentioned before, my dad is an electrician and I have an electric stove - alas, he could fix it! Little did I know that my dad worked at Warner-Stallion for 8 years and had experience working on stoves.

On Friday my dad agreed to come and fix the stove. After lunch we went back to the house so he could fix the stove and sink, which I guess I did a great job for my first try.

Five minutes later my dad says, 'Hey Annie, come here.' He was standing by the stove. 'I have something to show you.' Curious I approached. 'See this dial', he was pointing at the temperature. 'Now set that', he sets it. Intrigued, he then points at another dial, 'This is the one that says bake, broil or clean. When you turn that, the little light comes on and the oven warms up.'

Who-da-thunk! There was a second dial! All this time I was not using the oven because of a second dial. I was laughing so hard that I nearly fell to the floor. Of course, my dad never broke character, and was like, 'due to my 30+ years as an electric an, I was able to fix the problem.'

After thinking about how much a dumbass I am, I started thinking about how great it was to tell Holly. The next morning I saw her and I was all like, 'Holly, my dad fixed the stove.' She was super excited. 'Yeah, he spent hours on it. He said it was one of the most difficult things he has had to do...Do you want to see what he did?'

Eager Holly pranced to the stove. I opened the oven and showed her the coils. The I said showed her the first dial. Then I pointed to the second one. The look on her face demonstrated she did not believe that dial made a difference. I turned it and the oven light went in and, unlike my dad that never breaks character, I lost it.

It was at that point Holly realized we both were bamboozeled by the second dial. She was more pissed because she did not think she was that stupid. I told her I knew I was that stupid.

For the next two days I made Holly breakfast. It was good.

No comments: