Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Holly's batty!


So, I was working on the house with my mom and Mike and I get this call from Holly. She is freak-a-ta-freaked out. She is screaming about a bat being in her apartment and she didn't know what to do. I, of course, did not know what to do. When we were in college there was a bat in the bathroom. The way we dealt with it by putting lamb shades on our heads and screaming a lot.

Of course my mom had an idea. She said to hit it with a broom to knock it out and dispose of it. About an hour later I get a call from Holly and she is wrapping up a dead bat in Tupperware. I could seriously hear the tape as she told me the story. So she listened to my mom and hit the bat with a broom. Only she hit it really hard had killed it. Then she scooped it up and brought it to the trash. She wasn't convinced that it was dead so she put it in the neighbors trash, ya know, so the bat wouldn't remember where she lived.

After she got back to the apartment she started thinking about a dream she had the night before. She woke up after dreaming about rats biting her hands. Then found a bat in her bathroom. Then she started thinking, bats are flying rats...rats have rabies and rabies kill. Cut to Holly looking up rabies on Wikipedia. Her eyes keep getting wider and wider as she learns that .5% of bats have rabies and they do bit when people are sleeping.

Holly got on the phone and called animal control. They told her that it is possible for her to have contracted rabies and the shot is about $2,000. She had to fish the bat out of the trash and bring it in to be tested. By this time it is dark and Holly remembered that she didn't have a flash light so she called the building manager to help her. Now remember, she did not toss out the bat in her garbage, she tossed it in the neighbors.
So after wrapping up the bat and keeping it in the fridge over night, I picked up Holly and her bat-sicile to the UMN's animal hospital. When I picked her up I asked, "so what did you do after we got off the phone?" I loved what she said, "I went and got waisted."

My other favorite quote from Holly that day was when we were standing at the reception desk filling out paper work and Holly asked, "So, does the bat get a name?" I lost it and started coming up with different names. "Smashy McNoflight", "Chill, the frozen bat", "Adam West". She explained that she would request that the bat not be named Holly. Oh, and the form. Man that thing was funny. I kept trying to get Holly to lie and say the bat was a pet and domesticated.

In the end Holly is ok, for those who care.

No comments: